Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Pain is in the eye of the beholder

Ok, strange title, I know. But let me explain.

Last Tuesday, I felt a strange "pop" in my lower back region. Next thing I knew I was out of work for three days lying flat on my back in bed, barely able to move. Is it too late to ask Santa for a new back? Anyway, here's a brief rundown of what's going on.

About 4 years or so ago, a good friend of mine decided to give me a good bye hug. Only this friend did not come straight at me, he came at me from about a 45 or so degree angle. He gave me a tremendous bear hug which torqued my back farther than it really wanted to go. Approximately 3 days later, I woke up with tremendous back pain that left me in bed for a week solid.

I went to doctors, chiropractors, had MRIs and X-rays done. I was diagnosed with a dessicated (sp?) disc, a degenerated disc, and a pinched nerve. I thought I finally got a handle on the pain, and my limitations after about 1 1/2 years of chiropractic treatment. Apparently, I was mistaken.

I am now back to square one with a high possibility of surgery in my future for replacement discs. That will be an option of last resort. I am now on Vicodin three times a day and have heat placed on my lower back 13-14 hours a day. It's a very good thing that I work in the equivalent of an igloo. My coworkers are all menopausal and are having hot flashes from Hell.

Anyway, I hope that this will be the last time I have to go through this level of pain. I wouldn't even wish this kind of debilitating pain on my worst enemy. Just keep me in your thoughts.

Thanks for continuing to read this blog through all the changes.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home